Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Run, Jenni, Run!

I tried uploading the cute pictures I took of Mav playing in the leaves the other day...but for whatever reason Blogger isn't wanting to cooperate with Picasa, and I'm tired.  I normally use PhotoShop, so I'm sure I probably did something wonky since I'm not too familiar with Picasa.

Anyways.  So, I'm very hesitant to type this.  Only because once its on the world wide interweb, I might actually have to go through with it.

I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever been a runner.  Well, I take that back.  I did run track in high school.  But I was a sprinter.  The 100m and the 200m.  Not saying I was good at it.  It was more or less a thing to do with my friends in the softball off-season, ha!  Although if I do recall, my coach wanted me to run in districts and I turned it down to go on a youth group trip.  She was sort of angry at me for that.  God understood. :)

I've been needing to get my booty in gear for a while now.  Approximately 21 months or so, give or take.

My most favorite thing to do is swim, but its just super hard for me to fit into my schedule since Mav can't do it with me.  Next is kayaking.  Yes, kayaking. :)  However one should probably own a kayak for fitness purposes, and those are pretty expensive.  Riding a bicycle (a la what my husband does) on the road terrifies me, so that's not gonna happen.

So running it is.  It's relatively cheap.  It's something I can do with Mav.  It's something I can do easily from home.

Here is my wild idea.  If I have something to train for, then in 2 weeks when the excitement of a new thing has worn off--I will still have a goal to work towards.  At least that's the idea! :)  So I'm thinking about doing something I really can't fathom ever doing...running a half marathon.  Thirteen point six grueling miles.  Ugh.  Double ugh.

The goal would be to run in April for the GO! St. Louis Half Marathon.  I didn't say which April (2012, 2013...) ha ha ha!  It feels like it might take me 3 years to be ready for one.  But at least I could cross it off my bucket list.  (who writes competing in half marathons on their bucket list?!)  But the idea of attaining something SO difficult is appealing.

I have no idea how far I'm running right now.  My guess is about 2 miles from what I've sort of been able to calculate on google maps.  My pedometer hasn't come in the mail yet.  And I don't run the full 2 miles, I definitely need to walk sometimes.  But the more I do it, the less I have to walk which is motivating!

Worst of all is the thought of the looming winter.  The bone-chilling, razor-ice, winter.

I have no idea what I'm gonna do.  Guess we'll cross that skating rink when we get there! :)

It's been about a week into my new exercise regimen.  Prayers that I stick it out, and achieve my lofty goal!  

2 comments:

Ol' Grey One said...

You will do just fine...
in either rain or shine!!!
Keep your goal as planned...
and tell everyone you ran, ran, ran!!!

Jenni and Robbie said...

Love the poem! It will be my mantra. :)