Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Good Reminder

For days like today when:
--Mav was being crazy and screaming at Chick-fil-A
--I had to drive him around for 15 minutes to get him to take a nap.  I was not going to suffer 4 days in a row of no nap! :)
--Mav was throwing puzzle pieces just to see my reaction (you know, because the first 10 times it wasn't clear that we don't throw things in the house)
--Mav just plain 'ol wears me out

I like to read this book excerpt and really stop to cherish this season of life that goes by way too quickly.

"If I had my child to raise all over again...
I'd finger paint more, and point the finger less;
I'd do less correcting, and more connecting;
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch more with my eyes;
I would care to know less, and know to care more,
I'd take more hikes, and fly more kites;
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play;
I'd run through more fields, and gaze at more stars;
I'd do more hugging, and a lot less tugging;
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more often;
I'd build self esteem first and financial estate later;
I'd teach less about the love of power,
and more about the power of love."
--Different Children, Different Needs: The Art of Adjustable Parenting

I am so beyond blessed to have been given this amazing little boy.  He really is so wonderful and I love every minute with him...sometimes I keep him up longer at night because I don't want to interrupt the snuggling on the couch...even if it's been a rough day! :)

2 comments:

Klane said...

Hang in there! I just had another baby and I feel like I'm going to go crazy when Scout hits the 2's. He's already throwing toys and whinning all the time. Ahh! I hear ya! Loud and clear!

Jenni and Robbie said...

Isn't it wonderful to know that someone else is going through it too? :) It makes feeling frustrated less guilty for me.