Thursday, August 5, 2010

One year ago today

I remember this day SO vividly. Having no insurance, I really didn't have any prenatal care until I was about 23 weeks along. My awesome doctor, whom I visited prior to losing our insurance, was so wonderfully nice to Robbie and I during the first few months of my pregnancy. He never charged us anything for all the visits I made from when I first found out I was pregnant to week 23 when we made a reluctant move to a reduced cost clinic. Not to downgrade the kindness of my doctor, but all I had done my first half of my pregnancy was an external measurement of my belly and a listen on the hand held doppler to Mav's heartbeat. In a way, I think it's kind of cool actually.

That day was so monumental because for the first time ever, we would actually see that there was a living person in there. I had worried SO much that they would find something wrong, even though I had no reason to suspect anything. Just silly "mom" worry already kicking in I suppose.

Here is an excerpt from the post I made one year ago today:

August 5th, 2009
Until now we've nicknamed the baby Rubick--a combination of Ruby and Maverick. Ruby Mae for a girl, and Maverick William for a boy.

As soon as the sonographer put the wand on my belly she said, "Are you sure you want to find out? Because it's the first thing that popped up on the screen!" We told her we reeeeeeeally wanted to know and she pointed to the screen and said, "What do you think that is?"

Cue dramatic music:

I would like to introduce our son, Maverick William.

So that's when reality set in. I'm going to have a son. It is almost too much for my brain to process!


That poor sonographer. I think she thought we were crazy. We were so beyond ecstatic that everything was okay, we were giddy and laughing hysterically at everything. (you know, those moments when even things like a salt shaker is hilarious)

I remember that I never wanted it to end, but at the same time I couldn't wait to call my parents. Forget announcing it in a grandiose way like some people do, ha ha!

The hospital where I got this ultrasound done gives you all the images on a disc, instead of a printout. So we headed downstairs to the film library to get our disc.

Again, the poor hospital staff that encountered us! I'm not sure if our feet were touching the ground. The attendant sluggishly walked up to us and said, "Name, please?"

And before I could spit out our last name, Robbie huffed up his chest and announced to the entire floor in his biggest voice, "MAVERICK WILLIAM [last name]!!"

The attendant almost had an aneurysm, I think. She was so in shock with the amount of force Robbie used! I almost can't type because I'm cracking up so much thinking about it. The poor lady was probably just used to handing over x-rays of broken bones and not trained to deal with overly happy new parents.

I said, "No doufus! She only needs our last name. As in, just me--the patient." And then I was almost on the floor laughing so hard. Robbie was such a proud daddy! It was hilarious!

Of course, now that Maverick is here and the most wonderful kid ever, I couldn't imagine having a daughter (not saying that I wouldn't want one, for future reference...waaaaaaay future reference, like a few years future reference). I am SOOOOO blessed, beyond anything I deserve. Thank you Lord for my wonderful family.

1 comment:

Old(er) Dude said...

That was a new story... so he “huffed” his chest to unsuspecting innocent bystanders??? The real question is, has he calmed down yet? It’s been almost a year… AH, it’s OK, nothing wrong with being proud parents… just look at the picture.