Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Couch!

I keep piling up the things to blog about, but never get around to it!  Stuff like how funny Mav counts to 20, or how he loves his hotwheels.  Oh well.  I've been working on a list of things Mav is up to lately, just for my own record, since he is doing lots of fun and cute things.  If it never gets posted, at least it will be sitting in my 'unposted' folder, ha!

One kinda cool thing is our new-to-us couch.  And really, an answer to prayer!  It made me think of something my World Religion professor said a long time ago that has stuck with me.  He once said,  "God doesn't care about all the small, insignificant things.  People are foolish to think He cares about all that crap.  Like a parking spot.  God doesn't give a crap where you park." 

I think the biggest reason why I remember it all these years later was that on that particular day I was running super late to class.  On the way there I prayed for a good parking spot...and got a front row, closest to the door spot! It just made me chuckle in my seat.  Now, it wouldn't have shaken my faith if I ended up in the last spot, in the last lot.  After all, I was the silly one running late.  But I really do think that God cares about each little detail in our lives.

A small-ish need we've had for a while now, was buying a new (or gently used) couch.  Besides our tv and refrigerator, every single piece of furniture we own has either been given to us new as a gift, or used.  Which is cool with us, no biggie.  We do have aspirations for decorating, so eventually it would be nice to buy some cool stuff. 

My in-law's, in-law's (Johanna's in-laws, ha!) gave us a really cool leather couch they were wanting to get rid of about 5 years ago when we first bought our home.  It was pretty "loved" when we got it, so add the stress of a dog, toddler...and well, life...it was getting pretty ragged.

We kept blankets on it to keep the stuffing from leaking too badly, especially when company was over, ha ha!  Aside from that, it is super comfy and was lasting us until we could find a new one.


The biggest concern was the cushions and arm rests tearing apart.  As you can see, the staples and nails were poking out...yikes!!!!!

  
We started setting aside money for a new couch.  But you know how that goes--there's always something that needs to be fixed, etc.  Our other Jeep is finally (legally) back on the road again!  $1200 and a new catalytic converter later, of course.  I can think of better ways to spend that much money other than a 1 inch sticker on our license plate.  (shaking fist at government)

The other night Robbie was browsing Craigslist and stumbled upon some really cool couches we liked.  We were really wanting another leather couch, but didn't have our hopes up since they are pretty expensive.  There were 4 couches that caught our fancy, and all of them were just over our budget.  Robbie decided it wouldn't hurt to contact them with a smaller offer, just in case of a miracle.  Everyone turned us down, except one couple.  They didn't turn us away--but said they might contact us later if they had a hard time selling it.  With that, Robbie told them he hoped they got what they were asking and thanked them for considering.

The very next day we got a very unexpected phone call.  I was thinking weeks, or even months down the line (if at all) to hear from them.  The lady and her husband said they talked it over, and decided that they really wanted to help our little family out.  So they sold us this beautiful, almost brand new leather couch and ottomans for only $200(!!!).  I was completely flabbergasted.  Brand new, this set retails for $2700.  I just about had a heart attack and prayed all evening for that sweet couple.  I kept praying for God to bless them SO much for their generosity.

A sort of blurry picture of Mav still waking up to the new couch.  He was asleep when the old one went out, and the new one came in.  He didn't react much, ha!


He does love playing on the ottomans though.  Especially since they open and close.  I hate to even type it, but if there was one TINY, tiny complaint it would be that they are a little heavy to move on carpet.  They have felt feet for hardwood floors.  Someday we hope to have hardwood floors, ha!

   
Thank you Lord for answering our small prayer.  I know there is so much more in this world that needs his attention, but He is faithful to supply our needs.  In this case--way more than our need!

No comments: