Monday, May 3, 2010

Future X-Games Medalist

This weekend Robbie's work hosted a BMX demo and 2 pro BMX riders came out to ride and hang with fans. We were really looking forward to this because BMX is an awesome sport, and we got to meet Lennie Westfall and Nigel Sylvester. Both are HUGE in the sport and super nice guys. They both have been on the Dew Tour and have competed in the X-games.

It was a great turnout and it was so much fun to watch all the local kids (middle and high school age) ride around with Lennie and Nigel. They were so nice to sign autographs, give tips, and just hang out.


Maverick parked by the quarter pipe and watched everyone. I know it's hard to believe a 5 month old would actually pay attention to anything, but he really was! His eyes got big when someone would shred up the quarter pipe. (In regular language, that means do a trick, ha ha!)


By the end of the day, Maverick was pretty exhausted. He was sleeping when I was about to leave, but Robbie snagged us so we could get a pic with the guys. Maverick must have known how much he would love these pics when he gets older because he briefly woke up.

Me, Maverick and Lennie Westfall


Me, Maverick and Nigel Sylvester


I got lots of pics of the guys riding, but I thought these were some of the coolest. (Lennie)




Lennie invited Maverick out to Camp Woodward in a few years. It's this really cool camp where you can learn how to do awesome tricks. I told Lennie that I'm excited for Maverick to get into the sport...but at the same time the mom comes out in me and I don't want him to break any bones. Ha!

Believe it or not, I used to ride BMX, but it was flatland BMX. So not any crazy gravity defying tricks, just learning some really cool maneuvers. It's kinda hard to describe. Your homework is to google video flatland BMX.

But then I had to sell my bike cause I was in super need of cash. It was a pretty nice ride. Sniffle sniffle. Although, I couldn't bunny hop to save my life because I wasn't strong enough to lift my 30 lb bike--which was the lightest they had at the time. Now the bikes are like a standard 20 lb or less. I think I could totally do one now!

Robbie's pretty much convinced Mav is going to be riding a 2 wheeler by this time next year. Ha! We'll see. Maybe we have a future X-games medalist on our hands.

2 comments:

Old Dude said...

Why is Nigel wearing a New York Yankees shirt??? Didn't Robbie tell them they were in Saint Louis... home of the Great St. Louis Cardinals!!!! At least Lennie wore a bike shirt... I am buying my bike from him.

Jenni and Robbie said...

Robbie and the guys gave Nigel a hard time about it for sure!!!! Nigel is from the Bronx...so you can imagine he's somewhat of a Yanks fan. Lennie is from south central Illinois, so at least he is a Cards fan.