Friday, August 14, 2009

Am I being too unrealistic?

As every new parent experiences, everyone has advice for you--whether you have requested it or not. Probably the thing I hear most is "enjoy (fill-in-activity-here) now, because when the baby comes you'll never enjoy it the same/or at all again".

I feel sorry for the people that give that advice!!

The way I feel about that advice is the same way I feel when people make a big deal about "enjoying life the best you can before you get married". They make it sound like a prison sentence! And for some people, maybe it is. But not for me!

I'm not naive to the fact that babies change everything. I work with children aged 3 to 12 for a living, so I know a thing or two about kids. Robbie used to work where I work now, so he has plenty of experience in that arena too. So we know that life won't be the same.

But why does that have to be bad? The way I see it is that I will get to share my favorite things with this new person in my life. Sure, it may be a bit more challenging...but where's the fun unless its challenging?

Maybe I'm being a little too unrealistic here. But you gotta hold on to something to keep yourself sane when your kid is throwing their sippy cup into the penguin tank at the zoo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to place this entry into a FEDEX envelope and have it scheduled for delivery in the year 2025. I believe you are getting some of it, but with change (having a child) there is change. It doesn't mean that it is bad, it just means it will be different. You are still going to be able to do some of things you presently enjoy, but as time and commitment (to the needs of your child) change your life, the way you go about things will change as well. It will only be when you actually become a parent that you will realize the scope of what is to come. You won't trade it for the world.

Jenni and Robbie said...

Thank you "anonymous" for your kind and encouraging words! Robbie and I are greatly looking forward (and slightly scared) for the change coming in a few months. It is awesome to be cheered on by those who have "been there, done that".