Saturday, May 16, 2009

My 2 favorite things!

Just wanted to share some of my 2 most favorite things in the world, thunderstorms and photography!! Before I decided to be a science teacher I wanted to be a meteorologist, but the calculus defeated me through and through. Majoring in Atmospheric Science is basically majoring in Math too. We're talking Calc 1, 2, and 3, and Differential Equations, etc. My poor college tutor--I'm sure--was ready to stop "beating a dead horse". Sometimes you just have to know when to throw in the towel. So upon some personal inventory taking I decided that the reason why I wanted to be a meteorologist was because I LOVE to explain how our atmosphere works, and I changed my college major to science education.

Anywho, it was actually in high school when I was approached with an extra-credit weather photography project. It was then that the best of both worlds collided! I began my hobby in photography with a Coca-Cola Bear point-and-shoot 35mm camera. Don't be hatin'! That little camera took some of my most favorite pictures. :) After a few years my parents surprised me with a Canon Rebel G2 for my birthday (still film). It actually took me quite a while to make the change to digital, but it was for my own weird reasons. Because film was so expensive to buy and develop for a poor college student, I was super picky about what shots to take. I guess I looked at each frame with more caution before I actually clicked.

Last year Robbie surprised me with a new camera that we both enjoy. I now shoot with a Canon Rebel XTi DSLR with both a 18-55mm and 75-300mm lens. Nothing too crazy, but still super rad for me. I finally upgraded to the digital age. :)

Enjoy!

This picture was taken with my Coca-Cola Polar Bear camera from my front yard: (2002) It's a little fuzzy because I had to scan it in.


Taken with the Rebel G2, so again it had to be scanned in. (2005)


Rebel G2. (2005) An AMAZING view of the belly of a supercell thunderstorm. You can see the shelf cloud perfectly!


Rebel G2. (2005) A beautiful sunset as stratus clouds dissipate.


Rebel XTi. (2008) Cumulus Congestus sunset.


Rebel XTi. (2008) My first attempts to capture lightning. Not too shabby, eh?


3 comments:

Old Grey One said...

Who would have thunk that a Coca-Cola bear camera would take such good pictures... nobody, so one must conclude that it must be the photographer. Hope pictures are a part of your journals. You know they are worth a thousand words. Oh, and BTW (I have been sudying texting, not bad huh...) don't try and take pictures on the day you deliver. Better line up someone now as you will be busy taking care of "Rubik".

Jenni and Robbie said...

What you mean that I won't feel like taking my own pictures that day???? :)

Old Grey One said...

You are probably right... I can see it now, they will be pushing you down the hospital hallway and you will be snapping pics all the way down!!! And when you get to delivery, you will probably be asking the doc to smile... no wait, you will probably be screaming, don't you ever touch me again...