Sunday, May 3, 2009

Church + Food = Wonderful

Okay, so Robbie and I have always said that the best way to do church would be to eat around 10:30 am (that way it could be breakfast or lunch) and then have church about 11:30 am. Nobody likes to get up early on Sundays (maybe that's why the Saturday evening service has been so popular?), and everyone likes to eat. It's just a suggestion.

Not to brag on our church, but we've been having a really wonderful trend the past few weeks. EVERY Sunday we've been having various-themed pot-luck lunches after service. Last week it was party food, today it was Bar-B-Que, and next week it is appetizers. Today during the sermon our pastor went outside to get a wheelbarrow (he was talking about a guy famous for tight-rope walking across Niagara Falls but when he offered to push someone in a wheelbarrow across, no one volunteered. Hence, the difference between admiring Jesus vs. following Jesus) and he opened the door to our back patio where they were bar-b-queing. The smell was divine!

I like that we have pot-luck lunches because I personally have a inner battle with eating out/going places where people work on Sundays. I don't make a big deal about it, but I try to stay home and enjoy family. I know that the Sabbath was traditionally on Saturdays, but our culture has emphasized that time on Sundays. I feel bad going somewhere with my family and being served by someone who would love to have that time off with their family too. Granted you could make the argument that they chose to make themselves available to work on Sundays, but I have worked at a couple restaurants where they make you work at least 1 Sunday a month to share the burden. If there were no customers on Sundays, then they wouldn't have to be open.

Anywho, didn't mean to step on a soapbox. I really just wanted to share my excitement for food at church!!!

No comments: