Thursday, March 4, 2010

What's in a hyphen?

This is something I've had churning in my head for about a week or so.

One of my favorite things to do is to photograph tombstones. Call me crazy, but I've been known to drive around town to visit cemeteries seeking out interesting headstones. I just love the stone craft that went into making them. Being in a cemetery is actually a very peaceful place. Very quiet, and very reflective. As I walk along and see all the names, I like to think about how their life may have been lived and what kind of personalities they had. I would like to think that the person whose name I've read would get a kick out of me trying to imagine their life just from their name and the era of life they lived in.

If it were me, I'd love what someone could come up with just from knowing:
Jennifer Elaine: Born 1983 - Died ????
Maybe they'd think I was a telemarketer, or maybe even a chef. Ha!



Thinking about how it's been a long time since I've gone on the search for unique headstones, is how I got on the topic that has been kinda nippin' at me lately.



Isn't it interesting that when we die, our life is represented by a hyphen?



Everyone's headstone reads, "Born (fill in the blanks) - Died (fill in the blanks)"



This isn't supposed to be a depressing topic. Just an interesting one. Maybe it will kinda churn in your head like it has in mine. Think about your ENTIRE life being squeezed between two dates in the form of a hyphen.

For me, it's awesome to think how wonderful and fulfilling my life has been so far (with all it's ups and downs and everywhere in-betweens). But it's even more awesome to think that when that second date is inscribed on my headstone, I have the faith that life isn't over.

Sure it's over here on this earth. But through the grace given by God and the death of his son Jesus, I can look forward to living eternally with Him and other believers in a life that is only Love.

While I'm on this earth I hope that my hyphen is a reflection of Christ and filled with loving and serving others, and living the joy that God has given me through my family and friends. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, don't forget the family part.

Carrie said...

I thought of you yesterday when I discovered a cemetery along the Katy Trail. I don't know how many times we've biked and run past this particular spot and never noticed anything. But yesterday, probably due to the barren trees, I noticed something! I stopped (in the middle of an 8-mile run, I probably would have stopped for anything! This just happened to be exciting) and explored. It was amazing to see tombstones dating back to 1813...
Guess I'm a cemetery geek like you!