Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Crazy fuzz

Just wanted to throw out there a quick blurb about the crazy life we're living at the moment. It's not actually too crazy, just temporarily fuzzy.

My hours at work have been longer than usual because of cycle break. Our elementary schools go year round here, and every 9 weeks the school is off 3 weeks (cycle break). During those 3 weeks my job goes 9 hours a day (with a 1 hr lunch) instead of before and after school. Cycle break is pretty fun because you have more time to do more fun/involved activities than the normal block of time.

Anywho, so because of that it's been crazier than normal getting sleep. I have to be at work at 6 am. That comes pretty stinking early when you've stayed up until 10pm (or later!) trying to catch up on dishes and laundry after the little one has finally gone to bed.

On top of that, Maverick has also been waking me up more at night than normal. He normally only gets up once, but he's been increasingly hard to put down at night and once he wakes up during the night he doesn't go right back to sleep like he used to.

I think part of it is the fact that he's determined to sleep on his tummy, so he is always getting stuck in an awkward position. No matter how I try, he always rolls right to his tummy when I lay him down. A few times now he's woken up screaming cause his leg(s) are stuck in the crib bars. Kinda makes me want to put bumpers up, but then I'd be afraid of him suffocating when he gets himself stuck up against the bars.

I'm probably just being a new mommy and worrying too much. I try not to worry about him since he can lift his head well enough to move it when he gets stuck...but things like SIDS statistics float around in my head when I'm trying to go back to sleep after getting him un-stuck.
Statistics like:
-The peak age for SIDS is 2-4 months. Mav is 3 1/2 months.
-The peak season for SIDS is winter. It's winter.
-Boys most commonly die from SIDS. No explanation necessary.


Another element making life crazy right now is a rather impromptu remodeling of our house. It's something we've been wanting to do for the last 3 years, but have never gotten around to it. Robbie is off this week, and his great friend (who is studying carpentry) decided to literally take a crack at it.

So the house is in complete disarray to remove a giant wall, and parts of another wall. I never thought I'd be the kind of person to get all out of whack when everything is out of its place...but I am right now! Maybe it's coinciding with the different work hours and lack of sleep. When I come home I can't relax because all the furniture is pushed together and everything else is out of order. Agh!


To end this on a good note, Maverick is GIGGLING now! It usually only happens once a day, but it is wooooooooonderful! I cried and got goosebumps the first time I heard him actually laugh. I don't know what I'll do when he learns to walk. Ha! I think it made me so emotional because hearing him laugh when I tickled him made him more of a person than a cute little bundle of blankets.

Okay, so maybe sometime soon I'll get some pictures up of the aforementioned remodel and giggling. But until then, good night!

No comments: