Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's a good thing needles don't bother me

I went back to the doc again today to get the specifics on my gestational diabetes. Not fun. My numbers weren't too crazy, but enough to require some action. I'm actually feeling overwhelmed right now about all the things I'm going to have to keep track of, but I'm sure this will go away as the routine sets in. Thankfully (well, hopefully) the diabetes should go away once the baby is born. Here is my daily routine starting tomorrow:


This is my snazzy new glucometer. I wish I could've at least picked the color (they come in pink!). I have to check my blood sugar 4 times a day: before breakfast, 1 hour after breakfast, 1 hour after lunch, and 1 hour after dinner. I have to record all my readings in a log. Not sure yet how I'm gonna pull this off at work.

And here is my new "diet". I hesitate to call it a diet, because I'm not really changing a whole lot of the food content. It's just a matter of the time of day and amount. I of course have to write all of this down too. It's not like I can cheat and not write something down because the glucometer never lies. Dang it!!

Categories of food (such as milk, meat, starch, etc) are all defined by my new snazzy "Choose Your Foods" book by the American Diabetes Association.

Breakfast, 6:30 am
1 Milk
1 Starch
1 Meat
1 Fat

Morning snack, 9 am
1 Starch
1 Meat

Lunch, 12 pm
1 Milk
1 Fruit
1-2 Vegetables
2 Starches
2-3 ounces Meat
1-2 Fats

Afternoon snack, 3:30 pm
1 Fruit
1 Starch

Dinner, 7 pm
1 Milk
2-3 Vegetables
2 Starches
3-4 ounces Meat
1-2 fats
1 Free food (pick from list given)

Evening snack, 10:30 pm
1 Milk
1 Starch
1 Meat

Can you see how this could be slightly overwhelming?? I never have meals planned out, so to be this specific everyday is going to be crazy. But I can do it! And again, hopefully this will only be for the next 2 1/2 months until Maverick gets here.

1 comment:

Old dude... said...

If anybody can pull this off, it will be you. Keep up the good work... its only for a few more months!!!