Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Big Dig

The great excavation has begun!!

When Robbie and I first bought our house, we knew that someday we would need to replace our fence. Unfortunately that day came sooner than we thought. We're pretty sure the previous owner was taken advantage of because whoever built the fence did an awful job. The wood is rotting and warped, they used nails instead of screws, and the concrete bases (if there at all) are below ground (so the wood rots even faster). I thought I took more pictures of how awful the fence was, but I could only find these two from this past winter.

Many sections began leaning over, eventually falling.


Eventually we shared a backyard with our wonderfully understanding neighboor. He didn't even mind that Belle roamed over there in his beautiful gardens.


So this week Robbie and my dad began the Big Dig to replace the fence. Unfortunately this long holiday weekend was supposed to be a great opportunity to get a lot of work done, but alas--as I type it is pouring down rain. And its supposed to rain all weekend. Here are a few snapshots of what they've done so far.

Except for the corner posts, these are all the old posts still. It was A LOT of work to get the posts out of the ground. (I say this like I dug them out--but at least I helped keep them hydrated!) They used the Jeep to pull the posts out of the ground once they were dug out a bit...which ended up giving the Jeep a flat tire after rolling over a piece of metal.


The other obstacle that ended up being more of a hassle than planned was our jungle of weeds. The plan was to rip out everything and start fresh with our landscaping, so we just let it all go...and it overtook the yard!


This is my husband--the lumberjack. And no, that's not a tree...it's a weed. Yikes!


Right now our yard looks like a tornado disaster zone. Literally.


I am ever so thankful for all the hardwork Robbie and my dad are doing. My dad comes over to work on the fence even when Robbie has to work late. (He's gonna kill me for typing that too.) And they both work on the fence in the evening after a long day at work. They are awesome!

This wouldn't be a blog post without mention of our impending arrival of Maverick, so I'll end with that. :)

This week we were completely suprised with a HUGE blessing: over 1000 diapers! We can't even express how thankful we are for this gift. Someone sent us 7 boxes of diapers ranging in size from newborn to 30 lbs. Many blessings to the person who sent this gift!


Last but not least, an updated belly pic. My friends are always begging and pleading for more belly pics, so being the good friend I am, I will oblige. :) This was taken at 27 weeks-ish.


I can't believe that Maverick will be here in 3 months. I can't wait!!

1 comment:

Old Dude said...

Yes, I am going to talk to you about comments being placed... but it will have to wait, I am busy putting up a fence.