Saturday, September 19, 2009

In the meantime, no sugar!

This week I was given some pretty suprising news: I have Gestational Diabetes. This was sooooooo shocking and out of the blue for me. I have had none of the tell-tale signs: irregular increase in weight gain, unusual thirst, increased urination, and fatigue. The last 2 symptoms crack me up because those are nearly impossible to distinguish as anything other than normal for preggos.

This news was also very shocking for me because I'm not a super sugar eater. Of course I love ice cream and cookies as much as the next person, but I would say that my daily intake of sugar is right on average with everyone else. Feeling completely guilty for Maverick, I asked the nurse if my diet could have brought this on. She said that GD can develop in healthy women when there is a strong family history of diabetes. Ah hah, that must be the culprit. Adult onset diabetes is very strong in my family.

I meet with a dietician next week to get a more personalized diet plan going for the rest of my pregnancy. But the funny thing is--I'm not going to have to change much according to the GD diet plans I've read about online. Even before I was pregnant, I only eat whole grain pastas/breads, fresh veggies/fruit, and lots of lean meat.

You know how everyone has the "staple" dinner at their house? The when-in-doubt-and-in-a-hurry-never-fail trusty dish? Ours is a pasta recipe that I made up a couple years ago that will be perfect for my GD diet. It is: organic whole wheat pasta, extra virgin olive oil, basil, parmesean cheese, cooked chicken breast, and whatever vegetable that might be lying around (usually red peppers and onions). Yummmmmmmmmm! Of course this famous pasta has a bazillion versions because its based on whatever meat and veggies are in the house.

Anywho, I've decided to completely cut out sugar. I realize that sugar is natural in some foods, but I'm talking about the usual culprits such as soda, desserts, and the sort. The hardest part is the no soda. I've been doing the caffiene free soda during the pregnancy. But to cut it out completely????!!! Maverick may never know what sort of sacrifice this is for me. :)

No comments: