Thursday, January 1, 2009

Robbie's newest ink

For a really, really late wedding gift our friend Lars VanZandt offered his valuable time and talent to give Robbie a tattoo. The ink is coming this late for a couple reasons. First, when we got married Robbie was only 15 days from his last chemotherapy...so that isn't exactly the ideal time for a tattoo. The other reason is that Lars lives out of town, so its hard to find time to get together.

Here is the new ink:


This tattoo is a visual representation of the Bible verse Philippians 4:6-7 which reads:
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (NIV)

I love that Robbie wanted an hourglass to be the object in which the snake (which symbolizes anxiety and worry) is wrapped around. I know for me personally it is very easy to constantly be overwhelmed with worrying about how various situations are going to pan out. It is when I pray and give those worries to God, that He gives me peace. (the dagger is the victory over anxiety and time)

My peace doesn't come from knowing everything is going to work out to how I had it planned in my mind. God (fortunately) is bigger than what I think is best. My peace comes from knowing that He is in control.

No comments: