Tuesday, January 22, 2013

30 within 30

I guess I'm a little late on making, let alone doing everything on, a "30 before 30" list.  But I'm inspired to at least write one out and go from there.  So I'll call mine "30 within 30" to give me a little wiggle room.  I just turned 29 about a month ago...so I'll wiggle it to completing before turning 31.  :) 

If checking off items from this list is like writing my college papers, then procrastinating will be my key to awesomeness.

I scribbled this down on paper first, just writing whatever popped into my head and not focusing on ranking.  Trying to rank what I want to do most and/or what's most important is nearly impossible.  Of course relationships take precedent over hobbies and the like, but I think that kinda goes without saying.

So without much further ado,  here's my list.
  • Spend more quality time with Robbie.  Because babies, toddlers, working full time, and other general life responsibilities take up too much time.
  • Take more pictures with my kids, family, and friends.  I'm always behind the camera.  And truthfully, I hate my picture taken.  But I know my boys would probably like having them as they grow.  I treasure all the photos I have of my Mom, especially ones of us together.
  • Not be so addicted to my phone.  This is a bad one.  I'm terrible.  It's always close.  And I'm embarrassed to admit I'm on it sometimes while playing with Mav.  Yuck.
  • Learn how to wear make up.  Robbie would disagree with this one.  He likes that I don't wear it and thinks I don't need it.  But I've never learned how to do it properly and I'm curious to know what looks good on me.  And it feels nice to get fancy every once in a while!
  • Read my Bible and/or devotional more.  I miss being so submersed into the Word, and I can really feel when it's been too long.  I should be so familiar with God's Word that it's the first thing that comes to mind, every time, in all things.
  • Run in some sort of organized race.  Between pregnancies, I was really getting set into a running routine.  I was losing weight and just generally feeling better.  I loved the feeling of making myself take one more step, going just a little further.  I'd like to aim towards a half marathon, but a 5 or 10k would be awesome too.
  • Shoot more.  And get my conceal & carry license.  I love going shooting, especially with my Dad.  Haven't been in a while cause preggos can't be on the line.  I doubt if I'll actually ever carry, but it would be nice to have the option.  And it's my 2nd Amendment right.
  • Get to know my neighbors.  It's sad.  We've been in our house over 5 years and I can't remember all of my immediate neighbor's names.  Granted, all of them are elderly and they aren't out of their houses much...but still not an excuse.
  • Take a cooking class.  I love, love, love to cook.  It would be fun to take a technique class and learn more about the art of cooking.
  • Connect and serve more at church.  I don't like that I don't know very many people at church and we've been attending for almost 2 years.  Having little ones makes it hard.  Gotta start small I suppose.
  • Visit the giraffes at the Zoo as much as possible.  Maverick and Sawyer have been named "parents" of a giraffe at the Zoo in my Mom's memory; and many people have donated to the Zoo in my Mom's memory.  I want to take the boys to see the display of Grandma's name, and see "their" giraffe in person.  Also, being close to the giraffes makes my heart smile and warm memories of Mom flood my mind. :)
  • Wear my hair down more, and fix it up more.  I guess this is in the same vein as make up.  99% of the time it's just up in a ponytail or bun.  It's just nice to learn how to make it pretty.
  • Read more books.  Growing up I always had my nose in a book.  One of my most favorite birthday gifts I've ever received was the whole hardcover set of The Chronicles of Narnia.  I miss transporting myself into new places through text. 
  • Follow Cardinals baseball more closely.  This one probably will make everyone laugh since it seems like I follow it obsessively.  I just want to fully geek out about it all.  Read up and memorize stats.  Follow the farm league to see who's coming up.  I want to be the little old granny at the ballpark who can school anyone, anytime, anywhere.
  • Take the kids to more community events.  Especially now that Mav is old enough to get more involved and have fun.
  • Go on vacation.  A real vacation.  I haven't been on one since our honeymoon to Chicago.  I want to go to Cardinals' spring training.  I would also love to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame again.  A beach is excellent too.
  • Hang out and talk with my family more.  Because they are awesome, and I love them.  And I only get one family to spend time with.  I also want my boys to grow up knowing all of their family well.
  • Get re-certified in Skywarn.  Besides baseball, my other most favorite thing is meteorology.  I was a certified storm spotter in college.  I miss going out and chasing storms, taking pictures.  It's been so long since I've used my spotter identification, I don't even know if it's good anymore.  Boo.
  • Finish at least 1 home improvement project.  We bought our house well below the appraised value.  But the real price was having an ugly, outdated home.  We started so many projects at once to overhaul the ugliness...but haven't finished them in years.  Something about having kids...
  • Write and send letters of encouragement.  I have done this a little in the past, and it was so great.  My Mom was so super awesome at it, and I can't tell you how many people shared with me at her visitation how she would always send them cards and letters.
  • Plant flowers.  And keep them alive.  I've always been envious of yards with flowers, they look so pretty!  I've tried a few times to have flowers and I have the blackest thumb ever.  Makes me sad.  Maybe I should take a basic gardening class, ha!
  • Hang out and talk with friends more.  I have the greatest friends ever, ever.  And I hate that we don't get to see them very often with everyone being so busy and such.  It's kinda cool now that our kids are getting old enough to entertain themselves, so us adults can actually interact! :)
  • Organize my paper life.  It's bad.  I mean, I have a filing system that I started in college.  Yep, college...so it's overflowing.  I get all sorts of stuff in the mail, which goes to the kitchen table, which every few months gets filed into an overflowing filing cart.  Yikes.
  • Write in my journal more.  I've kept a diary/journal since 4th grade, and I love that I have a whole shelf full of memories.  I usually find a few minutes late at night to write, and end up falling asleep--or currently being summoned by a crying baby--before finishing.  SO many things I don't want to forget, and be able to read about years from now.
  • Wear more skirts and dresses.  They are so cute and comfy.  I have a ton that don't fit, but are too beautiful to let go.  Inspiration for getting back on my running routine!
  • Sing more.  One thing that I miss is not singing in a church choir, but my church doesn't have one.  I have so many great memories of singing with my Mom.  She was the one who nudged me into singing in High School, and I ended up I guess being sort of good at it (according to my choir teacher).  But it's been so long!
  • Improve punctuality.  Notice I didn't say stop being late, ha!!  Small steps.  Oh man, I used to be at least 10 minutes early to everything.  Now I'm lucky to be 10 minutes late.  Better planning needed!
  • Read more comic books.  When Robbie was going through chemotherapy treatments, his buddies gave him a ton of comic books to read.  Unfortunately he was too nauseated to do anything.  I picked one up one day, and couldn't put them down.  Finished them all.  I'm craving some more.
  • Renew my teaching certificate.  Having been in a non-certified position for 4 years now, my teaching certificate expired.  Fortunately all I have to do is take either a couple college courses, or attend so many professional development hours and I can renew it.  Actually, I think I want to expand my certification to Early Childhood since that's what I've been doing the past 4 years anyway; and hopefully move into a certified position once the boys are in school.
  • Be more Christ-like to my family and friends.  I pray every day for my boys to accept Jesus, and grow up to be men of faith.  And I want them to see Christ in me; to see it every day of the week, in the good and bad.  I want to show Christ's love, and what He has done in my life to my friends and coworkers, without having to say one word.  To have the right attitude and perspective all the time, and show love to everyone all the time.  I know I'm far from perfect, and won't ever be; but I want to try my best. 

1 comment:

Justin Opinion said...

Glad this is not a bucket list, but a list that, for the most part, has true meanings. Keep focused on a few of them and get into the habit, or routine or "performing" them. Once there, grab a couple of more and move them into your routine. Those that are truly close to your heart will remain. And as all will testify, awareness is always the first step and it would appear as if the first step has been taken. And as family seems to be the center of most of your list, don't be afraid to lean on them or seek out advice from. I would suspect that your family loves you as much as you love them. Good luck and keep us posted.