Sunday, July 15, 2012

Late Afternoon Ramblings

Today started out as a wonderful Sunday, except it all came crashing down when we picked up Mav from his classroom at church today.  His teacher told us that he was having trouble with hitting, and even had to sit him aside for doing it repeatedly.  Talk about a downer!!  Robbie said as soon as he made eye contact with Mav, he put his head down.
Having worked with preschoolers for a living (longer than I've been a mom), I knew this day was coming...but yet it still makes me SO sad!  I know my child is far from perfect, and this is a normal part of child development.  But it just stings when it's your own kid.  At least for me, anyways.

He's hit a few times at home, but it's never been a consistent problem.  As soon as he does it, one of us gets eye-level with him and says in a very stern voice, "Hitting is NOT okay.  We do NOT use our hands for hitting."  And if he does it again (which is the typical "I'm testing my limits" thing) he gets whatever he is doing taken away and put in time-out.

Mav doesn't really understand when he gets put in time-out for 2 minutes...but if his toy (or whatever he is doing) gets taken away--that's when he knows he's in trouble.  Interesting how every kid is different!

Anyways, with all that said I think we're maybe seeing some acting out from all the new baby talk, too.  We have been reading books about bringing home a new baby and talking about little brother all the time.  Mav loves to give my tummy a hug and talks about little brother too.  However, we are expecting some behavior changes...after all...his little world is getting rocked! :)

Right now Mav is being super clingy to me.  He only wants mommy to give him his food or milk; only wants mommy to cuddle with him at bedtime, etc.  Poor Robbie gets discouraged sometimes, but I just reassure him it's just a phase and that I think he's already sensing a big change coming.

We'll get through it.  It's just a short season of life. :)

Thanks for letting me ramble a bit!

No comments: