Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Your Advice Wanted

Okay, so I've come to a huge road block on my path to a fun learning environment. I have asked friends in the education world, relied upon my own experience, and have endlessly searched books and the web for ideas on how to resolve conflict among 4th and 5th grade boys. Granted, the situation was already-a-brewin' before I was involved, but none-the-less I want to do whatever I can to be a positive influence. A fun learning environment is not possible even if just a couple kids are going at it without respect to themselves, their peers, or the teachers. My students deserve the best.

Nothing has been working. And I am sooooo tired about reading conflict resolution ideas that involve role-playing, filling out "how I feel" cards, and making posters. Those ideas work as preventatives (especially for young elementary students), but I need something to help in the heat of the moment when pre-adolescent rage is occurring. We are talking abrasive name-calling, throwing whatever they can get their hands on, and physical contact.

And it needs to be positive. Screaming and threatening only makes the student(s) and the situation more tense. I am working daily on building trust and creating positive relationships. How do I get them to make a better choice before or during the conflict?

Your advice is wanted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the supervisor courses I took advised that if you can involve a problem employee in a solution making situation they will be more likely to be a team player. In your situation, are there lesson plans or projects you have coming up they could help you with? Preferably if they each had their own project and did them it separate tables so they are less likely to bother each other, that might be a start. Another thought is to ask them is there is an activity or game they would enjoy doing or playing rather than fighting and see what you can do to provide that activity, then hold them to their "promise" to play the game rather than fighting.