Thursday, September 4, 2008

Age related bugs, Blogging, Voting, and Caving

Today I have a few things on my mind, so there are 4 parts to this blog. I promise to keep each part short and sweet. One might ask, "Why blog all of this at once?" My answer to that: I have to travel to get Internet access.

Part 1: Age related bugs
Last week we were so lucky to have celebrated the marriage of the nicest guy and girl in the world, and because of that many old friends reunited. In the wee hours of the morning the conversation turned to how our lives have changed. We used to talk about who we had a crush on, and now we talk about our husbands, babies, and mortgages. My circle of friends and I are in the mid-twenties and we've all been bitten by the marriage bug. Now the baby bug has claimed a few more. It made me think: what are the bugs to come? In a few years will we all be bitten by the house remodeling bug, or the PTA bug? What is the age 40 bug? My guess is that it will have something to do with dealing with our adolescent children or how we are saving for retirement. The age 50+ bug will have us talking about which medical procedures we have endured. The more you've had, the higher your rank is. Of course, I could be totally wrong. I sure hope so!

Part 2: Blogging
All this thought about age-related bugs made me think of an article I read in the St. Peters Journal a few days ago. It was about how my generation is struggling to find an identity. (we even have 2 names for our generation: generation y and the millenias) Is my generation going to be defined by the fact that we blog to communicate? How much we love YouTube? Or could it be the Iraq War? Surviving the economic downturn (lest I call it a depression)? Not saying any of these things would be a bad label, I am just curious.

Part 3: Voting
In this election season, I have decided to start a poll on our blog. Just for fun. I realize the current topic is rather narcissistic ("Do you like reading our blog?"). Now that I've had time to think of some really great questions, be ready to vote! Some may ask your opinion of less trivial things like t.v. show topics, and some may even slice into politics. It depends on how risky I'm feeling. So even though you may never comment on this blog, I urge you to vote! :)

Part 4: Caving
As most of you know, we have a siberian husky named Belle. She is wonderful. She also has a favorite past time: caving. No caving of the spelunking variety, just caving in the house. She loves finding little nooks to make a cave out of. After doing some more research on huskies (I don't know how much more I could do), I've found that they love to have a cave for a den. When it snows outside Belle will literally dig a little hole and sleep in the snow for hours and come out feeling refreshed. Inside she sleeps under 1 of 3 things: the computer table, the coffee table, or the foot stool. Belle is over 50 pounds and we don't know how she manages to slink under the coffee table or foot stool. But she loves it. I thought I would share a couple pictures.

This is Belle in her coffee table cave.

Compare the size of Belle to the size of the coffee table space behind her.

No comments: