Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Brunch


So when my dad invited us over for a Memorial Day brunch, I was so excited to pull up and see that we were going to eat outside!  Such a fun way to start summer!


It was a little hot (like 90 degrees) but there was a strong breeze and lots of shade.  We had a super fun time, and enjoyed lots of YUMMY food!!  And of course, we paused to reflect on the reason why we have Memorial Day.  We can't ever say or do enough for those that serve our Country, and we are forever thankful.  


My dad had a pretty amazing set-up on his driveway.  Yes, that's a mini fridge! :)  He also had a gas stove going, and lots of cool refreshments.  My dad is pretty awesome!


Meanwhile, my cousins, my sister and I started up a mini-size game of 2 hand touch football in the yard.  I made quite the fool of myself but it was so much fun!!!


Eventually Maverick toddled his way over and thought it was hilarious to stand in the middle of the game.  He was so cute squealing with excitement!  The big boys tossed him the ball a few times, he loved it!


While the food eating was winding down, I looked over and noticed Nana sneaking some cheesecake to Maverick. :)


It's a good thing that Mav has some super awesome grandparents!!!


I suppose one typically has BBQ on Memorial Day, but we had fun switching it up with brunch.  My dad makes a legendary breakfast.  Seriously, it's the best ever!  It's very southern style (heart attack on a plate!) but that's what makes it so stinkin' tasty.

There was bacon in the first cast iron kettle...but it was devoured instantly.  It was SOOOO good!  The thickest cut bacon I've ever had--cooked to perfection.


We also had scrambled eggs, southern style hashbrowns (with onion, green/red peppers, corn), sausage, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and made-from-scratch sausage gravy.  Also some tasty cheesecake and coffee cake.  SO much delicious food that we were all waddling afterwards.

I am so thankful for God blessing me with a wonderful family, and blessing me with living in this country where we are so fortunate (even in our current economic situation).  Having traveled outside the country and seeing how much we have, it makes me that much more thankful for those who serve to protect us.

   

1 comment:

Old Dude said...

Hear, Hear!!.. that is "living in this country where we are so fortunate"